Monday 4 May 2009

Joining the English Class

By Jenny Lin, student of Intermediate English Conversation
Daan Community University June 2005

I'm interested in English. Thus I came to the Daan Community University to audit the Intermediate English Conversation class at the end of last semester. When I walked into the classroom and spoke Chinese to the teacher and the students, it was interesting for me to hear them answer me in English. Then I realized that their class rule is "English only. No Chinese!"

At that time they were rehearsing for the presentation put out at the end of every semester. The skit was composed by all the students. I couldn't help but clap my hands for their lively performance. And I was so glad that I was the first audience that got to see the show.

The new semester started. I became one of the new members of the class. Our teacher Jennifer encouraged us: "Express your ideas at your own English level regardless of other students' skills levels." Therefore, we felt at ease and had a great time in the class. As we shared our experiences and thoughts with one another, we also acquired more English conversation skills.

Not long ago I watched the news about the energy drink being laced with cyanide by Chain, Mien-Ren. A question came to my mind: How do I say Chain, Mien-Ren in English? So I checked the ICRT web site. It was too bad that I didn’t find the answer, because they just used the word "suspect" instead. Meanwhile I was attracted by the other English news. They were very interesting. Now I try to read the English news on the web site everyday if I have any spare time. If I can't get the point of the news, I'll copy it then ask my teacher. She always uses
a simple way to answer my questions. I learnt a great deal from her.

Learning English is a journey. I believe I’ll walk all the way with joy and diligence.

No comments: